WHAT TO DO BEFORE A GASTRIC BALLOON?
Apart from all the pre-operative cares that any surgery requires, do what is listed below before gastric balloon procedure:
- Do not eat 12 hours before the appointment.
- For 6 hours before the appointment, do not drink.
- Have anti-nausea medicine and acid-reflux prepared at home for your return.
- Do not forget psychological counseling.
- Get special nutrition education.
- Have endoscopy of the stomach (gastrointestinal endoscopy), esophagus (EGD), duodenum (esophagogastroduodenoscopy), and H. Pylori test.
- Have blood test, including blood globules, parasite test, sodium and potassium of the blood, blood glucose, coagulation tests, albumin, cholesterol, and blood triglyceride.
- Have psychological test.
- Have heart tests including chest X-ray and electrocardiogram.
- If you are suffering from pulmonary diseases, have pulmonary tests and abdominal ultrasound.
WHAT ARE GASTRIC BALLOON RECOVERY AND POST-OPERATIVE CARE?
2 hours after the procedure, you are able to go home. It is normal to feel nausea or pain after the procedure for a couple of days to a couple of weeks. It depends on your health condition before the gastric balloon procedure. During the second week, your appetite will return. During weeks 3 to 6, you feel better, but hiccups and nausea appear when you eat too much or too quickly. During weeks 7 to 12, you need to start exercising 3 to 5 days a week. After week 12, it is good for you to contact a support group. Your lifestyle and eating habits will have been changed by this time. Consider what are listed below:
- Avoid fast food as much as you can.
- Nutrient dense foods like fish, vegetables and fruits are better for your weight loss and health condition.
- Take the medication given to you and follow your diet. Your doctor may recommend you a Mediterranean diet.
- Sleep on the left side of your body with your head and neck higher than your left shoulder.
- During the first month, eat soft foods.
- Eat slowly and chew carefully.
- Drink 10 glasses of water every day.
- Avoid drinking while eating.
- Avoid any kind of sodas, coffee, and alcohol.
- As you are unable to control the amount of food when watching television, do not eat meanwhile.
- Stick to your recommended diet.
- In the case of any digestive discomfort, consult a specialist.
- Have diverse fruits rather than juices.
HOW MUCH CAN YOU EXPECT TO LOSE?
You will lose between 10 and 25 kilograms. The important thing is that you need to continue your physical activities. Never return to your previous eating habits which cause you gain weight.
WHAT ARE COMMON SIDE EFFECTS AND RISKS OF GASTRIC BALLOON?
Depending on your health condition, gastric balloon may cause different conditions after the procedure. Some people do not experience any discomfort while others may experience some complications. Some possible complications are:
- Slight bleeding as a result of the insertion of the balloon
- Gastric discomfort
- Abdominal pain
- Gastro-esophageal reflux
- Leakage of the balloon up to 2%
- Rupture of the stomach up to 0.05%
The last four complications are extremely rare which can get resolved with the help of your doctor.
HOW MUCH DOES A GASTRIC BALLOON COST?
As gastric balloon is not a kind of treatment to be covered by insurance, the whole payment is on the patient. Depending on the doctor and the case of treatment, in the United States it costs between $6,000 and $9,000. In the United Kingdom, gastric balloon has a price of £3,950 approximately.
GASTRIC BALLOON IN IRAN
Gastric balloon is one of the most well-known weight loss procedures in Iran which is done by great and well-skilled specialists. Nowadays that Iranians, especially youths, pay more attention to their health condition and their weight, weight loss procedures are growing and progressing in Iran. There are well-equipped clinics in different cities of Iran like Tehran, Tabriz, Shiraz, Mashhad, Isfahan, Kish Island and other cities. Outpatient clinics in Iran offer different weight loss procedures, including gastric balloon.