Beard transplant in Iran: everything you need to know
Having a thick shaggy beard is considered a sign of masculinity and attractiveness by many. Not all men, however, are lucky enough to have full facial hair, and they may wish to undergo a beard transplant surgery at an affordable price. But the main questions arise as to where to get it done and how to afford it?
In this situation, you may come up with the idea of traveling to Iran for your facial hair transplant. To navigate your way through this journey, here we present a complete guide on getting your beard transplant in Iran.
What is facial hair transplant (beard transplant)?
Facial hair transplant also referred to as beard or mustache transplant, is a procedure to restore lost facial hair for men having a patchy or scantily grown beard or mustache. It is typically done above the upper lip, on the goatee, cheeks or the sideburns.
Why Iran for facial hair transplant?
Iran is considered as one of the best countries to get cosmetic surgeries like hair transplant there. The reasons include:
Proficient beard transplant doctors and surgeons
Along with regular hair transplant, beard transplant in Iran is gathering pace and being offered to interested men by highly-experienced Iranian surgeons. Iranian hair transplant surgeons are equipped with years of education and experience. They utilize the latest techniques, whilst adhering to the highest International standards of medical practice. Most Iranian doctors have attended top-rated medical universities around the world or passed specialized courses and fellowships in western countries.
Specialized hair transplant clinics with advanced facilities
Although it may catch you by surprise, you’ll find modern specialized hair transplant clinics in every corner of the country. These clinics are exclusively dedicated to the practice of hair transplant, well-equipped with advanced tools and facilities.
Iran offers the most competitive prices for facial hair transplant procedures. Economic factors coupled with the high demand for cosmetic surgeries in the country are the main reasons for the low cost of such services. By getting a beard transplant in Iran, you can save up to 70% in costs.
Should I get a beard transplant?
Men’s faces with stubbly or long beard are considered more attractive than feminine ones. According to a study published in the Journal of Evolutionary Biology, women view men with stubble as more attractive for short-term flings than men with full beards, which were seen as more attractive for long-term relationships.
Facial hair may be lost or reduced in amount because of several factors such as genetics, certain diseases, skin infection, or scarring. This causes many men to feel unconfident about their look and consider undergoing treatment to restore their beards and mustaches. If you’re suffering from your patchy beard, this procedure is the right solution.
How is beard transplant procedure done?
A beard transplant—or facial hair transplant to use the more general term—involves harvesting hair grafts from the scalp of the patients and transplanting them onto their facial areas with thin or no hair. The procedure is typically done under local anesthesia. It takes between 7 to 10 hours depending on the technique used and the number of grafts to be transplanted.
The procedure is similar to a regular hair transplant. Two main techniques for beard and mustache transplantation are FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) and FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction). (Learn about the differences between FUT and FUE.) The surgeons make smaller incisions in the recipient areas on the face compared to the incisions made for hair transplant on the scalp. The rest of the procedure would be like a hair transplant on the head.
Beard transplant cost in Iran
The cost of a beard transplant in Iran falls somewhere between $900-$2,500. However, the cost of the same procedure in other countries would go through the roof. In the United Kingdom, for example, prices range from $3,500 to $15,000 depending on the reputation of the doctor, technique used and the number of hairs you want to get transplanted. In the USA or Canada, this surgery is done with a higher budget, from $7,000 to $25,000.
Beard or mustache transplant recovery
Beard or mustache hair transplant is followed by a recovery period of 1 to 2 weeks. You may experience redness, itchiness, swelling, and discomfort for a few days after the surgery.
During the recovery, you should expect to see the transplanted hair falling out. This is a natural process just as in a regular hair transplant. New hair would eventually grow back about four months later in the same areas and fill out the patchiness on your face.
What to do or not to do during recovery?
The healing time of beard restoration surgery is very important as you need to take care of your transplanted hair until they fully recover and become stable. There are some activities you shouldn’t do during this time:
- Rubbing and scratching your transplanted beard (or other facial hair)
- Exposing your face to direct sunlight
- Intense physical activities
- Smoking and drinking alcohol
- Using blood thinners and other similar medications
- Swimming, using hot tubes and saunas
- Washing the transplantation areas for 5 days
Things you should do:
- Strictly follow your doctor’s instructions
- Take a few days off for dedicating more time for a more effective recovery
- Keep the surgical sites (donor site and receiver sites) clean to avoid any complications. Your doctor may prescribe antibiotic ointments for you to apply over the surface of the surgical areas.
- Sleep flat on your back (rather than on stomach or sides) for several days after your surgery. Let your head elevated by some pillows to help with the healing.
What to do before a beard transplant?
Just like any other surgery, there are some instructions you can follow to have a better experience of facial hair transplant. These are as follows:
- Do not take, vitamin E supplements (or multivitamins containing vitamin E), aspirin and gingko biloba 10 days prior to your surgery.
- Do not drink alcohol, take anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen, or be over-exposed to sunlight 3 days prior to the surgery.
- Do not smoke for 1 week before and after your beard transplant for faster healing.
- Take vitamin C 1000 to 2000 mg/day for 1 week before your surgery. Taking vitamin K 50-80 mg/day starting from 5 days before and continuing to 2 days after your surgery reduces bleeding during and after surgery.
- Have a modest breakfast in the morning of your procedure but do not take coffee or caffeinated drinks as they will increase bleeding or sensitivity to medications.
- Take your routinely prescribed medications such as antihypertensives, unless otherwise instructed by your doctor.