Fourth week: soft foods like chicken, fish, cereal, and mashed potato.
Fifth week: solid foods.
You need to keep in mind to do the following during your recovery period:
- To chew carefully.
- To eat slowly.
- That vegetable, fruits and proteins are needed.
- To eat small portions of food.
- To have 3 complete meals every day.
- That dense foods are important.
- To take supplements in order not to omit any necessary nutrient. Some of them are: iron, vitamin B, multivitamin, calcium, and folic acid. The dose of supplements should be determined by your doctor.
- To exercise at least 30 minutes every day (four days per week is necessary). Required exercises are flexibility, strength, and endurance.
- To ensure that there will be some people around you who help you during your recovery process.
What are common side effects and complications of gastric sleeve?
Although more than 90 percent of the gastric sleeve patients observe satisfying results, there might be some complications and risks which are listed below:
- The leakage of food from the stapled line (to avoid it, the stapled line is sewed)
- Slight bleeding
- Gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Sagging skin (as a result of stretched skin for a long time)
- Weight regain (if patients neglect exercising or start overeating)
- Nutrient deficiencies
Warning: It must be noted that if the post-operative diet or exercises are not observed, weight regain happens.
How much does a gastric sleeve cost?
Gastric sleeve can be covered by the insurance. Depending on whether you have insurance or not, the price is different. In the United States, between $500 and $5,000 is the price of gastric sleeve with the coverage of insurance. Uncovered by insurance, gastric sleeve costs $12,000 to $22,000.
Gastric sleeve in Iran
Like other bariatric surgeries in Iran, gastric sleeve is a famous surgery which has proven successful in weight loss. In terms of the degree of the removal, gastric sleeve in Iran has two types: ‘Wide sleeve’ which removes 60% of patient’s stomach and is suitable for people with BMI 30 to 35. ‘Tight sleeve’ which removes 80% of the stomach and is suitable for people with BMI 35 to 45. There are professional surgeons in different cities of Iran who work in well-equipped clinics that perform gastric sleeve. Tehran, Isfahan, Shiraz, Tabriz, Kish Island, Mashhad and other cities in Iran possess good clinics with great facilities. These clinics offer a great range of different weight loss surgeries, including gastric sleeve.