What are some pros and cons of Gastric Bypass and Gastric banding?
Gastric Bypass Surgery
• Weight loss process will be a fast one. Patients will lose an average of 70% to 80% of the extra body weight.
• Patients will be able to maintain around 50% of the extra weight in the long term.
• The Loss of stomach tissue will gradually drop the “hunger hormone” (ghrelin), which helps people control the appetite.
• By using this type of surgery you may experience lack of vitamin and minerals. So you have to use supplements like multivitamins. (The doctor will inform you the special vitamins and supplements you need after the post-surgery procedure).
• Gastric bypass is generally considered irreversible. The surgery will permanently change how your body digests food.
• Gastric band surgery is regarded as a minimally-invasive surgery done by making small incisions, using a laparoscope and modern instruments.
• There is no cut in your stomach
• The band can be tightened or loosened in the doctor’s clinic to control patients weight loss
• Your weight loss is less than gastric bypass method. The average weight loss will be around 50% of your extra weight.
• You will experience constipation, vomiting for a time after the surgery which is considered as the disadvantages of this method.
• The band may get loose, so you have to visit the doctor after a while to fix it again.